Saturday, January 8, 2011

Brussel Sprouts and Cereal

Q: What's Your Favorite Meal?

A: That's a tough one. And my mom's equally torn about this. See, I'm a really fussy eater. I mostly like cereal, fruit loops, or breakfast food the best. Anything after that is stuff mom makes that we all have to learn to like the taste of (dad tells me not to end sentences with "of" but this sentence just begs for it). Anyway, one of my brothers is way worse than me - he's labeled as a fussy eater in our house. And I think when mom asks everyone what they want for supper, he strategically picks his favorite choices based on what everyone else says; meaning that if everyone says they want tacos, he will say he doesn't like tacos.


I KNOW he does it on purpose too, and it drives mom up the wall, across the ceiling, and sometimes right out of the kitchen. But she's getting smarter about it because sometimes he ends up eating a bowl of cereal because mom tells him she's not making 6 different suppers, so "make your own supper!"

One thing I don't understand though is why I have to help clean up after meal times? I was getting away without having to do it for sooo long. Now all of a sudden, dad includes ME in the lineup to help cleanup the WHOLE kitchen. I don't understand why he asks me every night now too. It's not like I didn't JUST do it the night before. And I told him that, but what does he say? He tells me that mom shouldn't have to cook supper tonight because she just cooked LAST NIGHT too then. Fine with me, I'd rather eat cereal anyway! And another thing, when we all sit down to eat, if the cutlery (yeah, I said cutlery...what'd ya think I was going to say? Silverware? That's not even a modern word. And utensils is something my grandfather would say.) is not on the table, I'll always get some for everyone - but my brothers will only get one for themselves!!! What's the deal? How hard is it to turn your head to the right to check if anyone else needs a fork? And why, after dad reminds them about this, do they continue to forget??? Honestly! Deer in headlights.

Anyway, whatever. Why does it even make me so upset? Someday I'd like to see us all eat chips for a whole day, then I could go from dusk 'til dawn without listening to anyone argue about silly things like forks and brussel sprouts.

And now for something completely different:




No comments: