Friday, December 10, 2010

Punta Cana Santa

Q: What's your opinion of the story of Saint Nicholas?

A: I had to ask dad who Saint Nicholas is. He said you must be really old because nobody calls SANTA CLAUS that anymore. Now first of all, by calling it a story, are you implying that Santa's existential reality hangs in the balance? If so, you might disclose way too much here. Tread carefully my great aunt. But if you're just wondering what I think about how Santa Claus came to be, I don't really care actually. As long as the chubby, bearded, present-giver lands a Barbie under my tree, he's all good. I don't have anything bad to say about him - he's a nice enough guy I guess. But he needs to lay off the cookies.



But dad on the other hand is really skeptical about men that ride around at the speed of light delivering presents to every kid on the planet.


He wonders how Santa changes clothes so fast when he's delivering toys to kids that live in the African deserts, for example. Don't the reindeer sweat bullets? That's animal cruelty.



Anyway, Dad says he'd like to know who pays Santa and why he works all year around making toys that say "made in not the north pole" and how he's been an old man since everyone's grandfather was a baby. Hmmm...maybe dad has a point. BUT...dad also thinks that I'm a princess from a far off land. So there you have it.

Anyway, did you know that Saint Nicholas is also called Nikolaos of Myra? He was a saint and Greek Bishop of Myra - and died in 373. Did you know him personally? That's a long time ago.

I'd like to meet the Mexican Santa someday - that would be funny I bet.





Buy 2, Get 1 FREE: Enter Code: BUY2GET1

1 comment:

Ronalda said...

Yes, I knew he was a Bishop. Did you know that the reason he started the tradition of putting oranges in the toe of Christmas stockings was because he knew of a poor man with three daughters. And the father had no dowery for them to get married. So, the bishop threw gold coins into the bedroom and they landed in the daughter's shoes.